Monday, November 19, 2012

So what's wrong with testing?

Test analogy #1:
My doctor tells me I'm going to have to undergo a series of physical endurance tests 10 months from today.  His job rating and subsequent job security and pay are linked to the results of these tests.  The tests results will indicate how well he instructed me on the value of eating healthy and doing daily exercise.  He will be assigning me a set of exercises and a diet to follow in order to get ready for these tests.
However, while these are sound wellness strategies the results will have no effect on my life.  I will get a print out of my results 3 months after I leave his care and I will then move on to another physician's care.
Will my test results truly be an accurate reflection of my doctor's knowledge and abilities to diagnose and prescribe their patient's needs?
Nay..
And this is how we propose to judge a teacher's qualifications.
If test results have no impact on a student's life the test results will not matter to that student and they will have no ownership over the outcome.
Yearly Standardized Test results are a farce.

No comments:

Post a Comment